I recommend having this video playing in the background as you read this post. Instant mood lifter.
Hey everyone — thank you again for coming to this space, reading, and hopefully getting inspired to go out and do something you wouldn’t normally do — or maybe staying in and having a relaxed night with a film you’ve been meaning to watch & a feel-good new recipe is something you wouldn’t ordinarily do, and now you feel empowered to switch things up and rev your way back into (what I consider) the new year! It’s September. It’s a fresh start. You really can do anything you want to do. I’ll be sharing some of my goals for this upcoming year with you soon, and I hope you consider doing the same! It feels so great to get what you want, or what you think you want, down on paper. I adore paper. If you do too, check out the blog Oh, So Beautiful Paper. First share of the day. Off to a good start.
Either way, thank you for being here and reading.
Lately I is something I write to let you know what I’ve been up to, but most importantly to share with you any fun experiences I’ve had that you can try too, any amazing new products, or simply something I’ve found to be true and want to share with you! Here we go.
My New Space!
- First and foremost, I have just moved into my dream apartment with Michelle (already the best roommate to come home and talk to at the end of the day) in Gramercy! One subway stop away from my new job, and more importantly, around 10 steps away from a Dunkin Donuts (because you can take the girl out of Albany, but not the Albany out of the girl).
- Instead of going dark for fall/winter, for the first time ever, I have gone ice blonde. White blonde. Crazy light blonde. Whatever you want to call it. I’m really reveling in this new color. It brightens your whole face! Lauren from Jean Paul is a hair goddess, and if you’re in the Albany area: GO TO HER.
- Here’s what the lineup looks like for this fall semester at NYU:
- Fiction Writing where I hope to begin my best-selling novel (if everything in the world was that easy)
- The Montage Is The Message where my obsession with film trailers can finally be explored and over analyzed
- Journalistic Inquiry the next step in the journalism track! Hopefully I’ll love it as much as taking Clay Shirky’s course.
- Coming Home: Identity and Place Writing about places, experiences, memories and what those meant for your unique coming of age — this is going to force some great writing out of people.
- I accepted my offer of contributor network/production intern at Refinery29! They are simply the best. So if you aren’t already signed up for their daily newsletter, you need to be. If you are a breathing human, then they will write things that you need to/should know about. For example, honestly, what would you do without this brunching in NYC guide?
My Red Cross
- Another year, another love affair with the American Red Cross. This year I am stepping up to Vice President of the NYU Red Cross Club! Please reach out if you’d like to become a part of this incredible organization (plus we always have free food at our meetings).
My Favorite New Products
- This Coffee Press makes unreal joe. I am definitely the girl who’s happier with milk & sugar, but I truly do not need anything added to this cup of heaven.
- Tom Ford Velvet Orchid: Citrus, honey, rum — a warm exotic garden on my body. My mom has now also purchased. Just feels right for fall.
- New Mattress Topper — actually maybe don’t buy this…because you will not wake up in the morning. It is wrong to leave a bed with this thing on it, cradling your body in the best way ever. Get ready for a ‘how to make your bed the best’ post, coming soon.
- My plants. This is the first time I’m getting serious about greenery inside of an apartment in NYC. I kill most things that need love and attention, however, my plants I’ve had thus far have been looking good! Another upcoming post: How To Do Plants In Your Place Without Murdering Them. Try this little guy to start.
My Mentionable Experiences
- Need a great date idea with a special someone, or just a GNO? On every fourth Saturday at R Bar is a comedy and pole dancing show called “Schtick A Pole In It!” that is constantly entertaining. The show was produced by Joanna Ross and Dan Goodman in October of 2012 (who announced their ENGAGEMENT at the show I went to – needless to say I got emotional).
- I’m going to see Sex with Strangers on Saturday night, which stars Anna Gunn (who JUST won the Emmy for Breaking Bad), directed by David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends) and written by Laura Eason (writer for House of Cards). I can pretty safely say that this is going to be the best play ever produced. If you want to join me, grab your ticket on YPlan for a discounted price.
21 Day Fix & ClassPass
- Need to jumpstart a healthier lifestyle? Reach out to Nicola Tate, who is an incredible coach for BeachBody, and will get you promptly on track with your goals. I just finished the 21 Day Fix — lost 4 pounds, but gained tons of workout/healthy eating confidence and am actually excited about going to the gym. Who am I?
- Since coming back to the city, I have signed up for ClassPass.com, where, for $99, you get 10 passes to the best studios around New York each month. I’ve already tried 4 studios, and will review them for you in a separate post. I could not recommend this more — a class at City Row is $35, but with Class Pass I can take it three times in a month (for essentially $30).
What I’m watching/reading/possibly wasting valuable time doing
- Watching The Good Wife — after Julianna Margulies won AGAIN at the Emmys, I knew it was time for me to start. Uh, I’m hooked.
- Watching Masters of Sex — So smart & quick. Soon to be in my top 10 favorite shows of all time.
- Watching The Kill Bill (soon to be trilogy) — Finally got around to watching these two films. Didn’t love the first one. Enjoyed the second. Tarantino’s best work is still Inglourious Basterds by 900 miles.
- Watching Once Upon A Time — I gave this show up, and then hopped back on the band wagon. What can I say? It makes me feel like a child again, and isn’t that what we all want?
- Reading The Goldfinch — Well, I technically just finished it. It was gorgeous. Journey. Amazing. Re-thinking life as I know it. Read it.
Your Daily Thinker: Genius is the recovery of childhood at will. – Arthur Rimbaud